Angsuman’s Translator Plugin Pro 3.2 ReleasedBy Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, October 24, 2006
I am happy to announce the release of Angsuman’s Translator Plugin Pro version 3.2 for WordPress 2.x blogs. This is a feature packed release (details) based on customer feedback. There are few fixes in too primarily to adjust to Google Translation engines changing page structure.
We will start shipping it from today. It may take a day or two for all copies to be shipped. The documentation will be updated very soon.
The key features in this release are:
- Support for fopen has been added (in addition to curl). Now the plugin can be used on sites without curl enabled. Whenever the program detects that curl is not available it tries to use fopen.
- Better support for safe_mode and open_basedir. Some restrictive web hosting providers enable safe_mode and / or set open_basedir. It used to restrict the options users can use in their plugin. We have overcome this difficulty by implementing the functionalities which were being restricted by safe_mode and open_basedir settings without compromising security or functionality.
- Data caching in true database tables. Previously the data was being cached in WordPress settings which can consume lots of memory for sites with very high loads and/or having lots of pages.
This change makes the translation perfectly scalable on heavy load sites without compromising performance.
It will also enables us to track any caching issues quickly, not that we expect any. It will enable using caching on systems with lower memory allocation and lower database field limits. No more will you have to increase max_packet_size or memory_limit parameters.
- Google Translation has changed their data translation mode this week. In this version we have fully accounted for their changes.
- Ability to delete cache manually. You now have the ability to delete all the caching (disk and database) we do with a single convenient button in translator manage options.
- Translator will restrict itself to translating pages from your blog only. In version 3.1 the translation criteria was relaxed to include pages from the same domain which occassionally lead it to modify url’s which it cannot translate. This has been fixed in 3.2.
- Domain validation will be case insensitive. This gives latitude to bloggers to call their blogs www.MyBlog.com or www.myblog.com interchangeably.
- You can now restrict displaying flags to languages of your choice. Quite a few customers asked us to be able to restrict translation to a subset of the languages we provide. Now you can do it by unchecking the languages you don’t want to display in your translation bar.
- Better support of XHTML 1.0 standard in translated pages.
- Modifying Translator options is now restricted to users having ‘edit_plugins’ privileges. Normally admin users have privilege to edit plugins. This is one feature which haven’t been a user request. However it is important as it prevents un-privileged users in multi-user blog from accessing and changing the Translator options.
Note: Angsuman’s Translator Plugin Pro (features, testimonials, get software) is a professionally designed plugin which provides automatic machine translation of your blog in eight different languages - German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean and Chinese. It is search engine optimized, supports WordPress widgets, uses nice permalinks, super-fast (cacheable) and lots more. In short you instantly multiple your page count by 8 while making your blog accessible to a much larger population of non-English speaking world.