Hands on Review of 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12By Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
After an extensive Hands On Review of Seagate Momentus 5400.6 (Tested on Windows 7) we received a packed Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive of 1 TB capacity and 32-MB cache. Not only that, this model is specifically meant to be a green initiative by Seagate. By combining sustainable Seagate technology and components with industry-leading volume manufacturing, the Seagate® Barracuda® 7200.12 drive delivers up to 1 TB of green, low-power yet high-performance, desktop storage which has 70% of recycling material.
The high density 500 GB per platter capacity gives it a lower access time, faster data transfer rate, low power consumption and thus less heat dissipation (due to one less platter) and a hard drive that runs very silent. Let’s go for details now.
Let’s go through the Seagate mentioned specifications as of now.
- Intel Core 2 duo 2.0 GHz processor
- 1 GB Ram
- Seagate 1TB hard disk
- Windows 7 Beta Operating system (we know the OS is still in beta but its atleast quicker than Windows Vista so we decided to go with the brand new)
- Testing software: HD Tach (a low level hard disk benchmarking utility) and HD Tune Pro (a hard disk benchmarking utility capable of performing lower-level as well as file system benchmarks and displaying the result in the form of a graph)
[Windows 7 boot up process took up 22 seconds which is pretty fast compared to the other Seagate momentus we had reviewed that took 35 secs. ]
HD Tach Testing
HD Tune Testing
Read-Write Speed testing
Write Speed Information
- The maximum write speed = 111 MB/s
- The averagae writing speed is= 80 MB/s
File Benchmark Testing
So here comes the all important conclusion. I will keep my opinion very crisp and short
- Energy efficient? We didn’t have a coolant in the testing room. the temp never rose from 39 deg C. You have your answer.
- Silent? Yes absolutely.
- Fast? You have the results. Only Intel SSDs and WD Velociraptor are ahead.
- VFM? At Rs 6100, its a bit expensive but worth every penny. but at that price Samsung’s much praised Spinpoint F1 is still better VFM.
- Any glitches? At first level of testing we didn’t find any of that sort.
In short, we recommend it very honestly.
Tags: 80, China, Green, seagate 1TB review, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 hard drive 1TB, Seagate hdd review, Velociraptor