How to Hack Norton Antivirus and Extend SubscriptionBy Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Norton Antivirus, no matter how much criticized, is still one of the most trusted and popular antivirus softwares if we consider the whole world. So I tried to play a bit with Norton Anti-virus version 11 and then come out with something that can give us a bit of a respite from the nagging 1 month subscription.
You know that, installing a NAV and then re-installing it every month doesn’t work. Even if you delete every possible corner of your HDD, you can not simply do that. So here is a step by step procedure of the actual process you can do on your Mac and extend subscription
How to Hack NAV
1. Uninstall NAV 11 using the uninstaller
2. Restart Computer
3. Hunt down and manually delete the following:
- Library/Applications Support/Symantec
- Library/Applications Support/Norton Solutions Support
- User/Library/Preferences/com.symantec.WHATEVER. If you can’t find any of these, don’t worry, you just have a better uninstaller than the one I have.
4. Launch Show-Hide Files Automator to show hidden files
5. Delete the com.symantec folder in .private/var/db/
6. Launch Show-Hide Files Automator to re-hide previously hidden files
7. Restart (may be slow to restart)
8. Reinstall NAV 11
This method will also extend the life of a subscription. You may be wondering why should you do that on a Mac, you may like to read our 10 security tips for Mac users for that.