How to Migrate from Google Blogger Blog to Self-hosted WordPress BlogBy Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Friday, April 30, 2010
When Google Blogger hit the Blogging market in 1999, it was very popular because it is very easy to set up. Then, Wordpress came in the scene and it changed the traditional concept of blogging platform. It is simple to use and users can customize the theme using CSS and HTML. Self-hosted Wordpress blogs got much popularity for the last few years. If you already hosted your blog using Google Blogger and want to move to self-hosted wordpress blog, this article shows you different steps.
- You need to registrar your own domain with a domain registrar. Then, you have to buy some server space from the web host to host your site.
- Next, you have to create wordpress database. You can get good guide from here.
- Then, you need to export your blog from Blogger blog, if something doesn’t go right. You do this by logging into Blogger, and then you go to your blog’s Settings, you will see Basic tab. You click the Export Blog link there, press Download Blog button and you will be able to download your blog.
- Your next task is to import your blog to self-hosted Wordpress. Log into Wordpress, click on Tools->Import. All of the Blogging platforms that can be imported to Wordpress will be shown. Select Blogger link and hit Authorize button to import post, comments and blogger from Blogger to Wordpress blog. Then, it will take you to Google Window where you have to press Grant Access button.
- You will see all of your posts from Blogger blog. Select the one you want to Import and click on Import button. After your Blogger posts and comments are imported into WordPress, you will be able to import the authors by pressing the Set Authors button. You will also be able to map the Blogger URL to Wordpress one. The Add User button will let you create new author in Wordpress.
Now, you are all set with the new imported Blogger blog to your self-hosted Wordpress.