WordPress 2.0 / 1.5.x Plugin: Referrer Bouncer - A Plugin to bounce referrer spammer bots (and humans)By Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Saturday, March 19, 2005
A Plugin to bounce back referrer spam attempts; requires no upfront configuration, no mod-rewrite. It is like the strong silent bouncer at your favorite club. Tested on WordPress 1.5.x and 2.0. It should work with earlier versions too.
It does one job and does it well. Enough said.
- A new version of the plugin is available with some enhancements. Please read the details here. The download link below provides the latest version.
- This plugin does not collect any information on the amount of work it does or spammer bots it bounces back. This is because I want it to be as fast as possible. So some people may want to know how to verify if the plugin actually works. To answer that I have written an article on how to ensure your site is protected by referrer bouncer plugin.
- Anyone who have downloaded the plugin before May 4th, 2005 are strongly requested to re-download the plugin again. A fix was made for non-default behavior of the plugin following a bug report by Gustavo. Thanks Gustavo!
- If your WP installation hangs intermittently after installing the plugin then chmod your wp-content directory to 777. If you are logged in and in WP home directory then the exact command on linux/unix systems would be:
chmod 777 wp-content
Thanks to Richard Silverstein for this fix.
I was trying to block referrer spammer’s from my blog sites. I saw few scripts, never a real WordPress Plugin which does the job without requiring you to configure anything or without requiring manual modification of core files. Also I want to manage the list of referrer domains without having to modify the source code.
I am uncomfortable with Plugins, which requires modification of core WordPress code, because it forces you through painful upgrade procedures.
So I created Referrer Bouncer Plugin for WordPress 1.5 with the following simple requirements:
- It should be simple to use.
- It should be simple to install.
- It should come pre-configured.
- It should allow changing referrer information.
- It should embed security measures against outsider modifications
- It should require no manual intervention for day-to-day operations.
Referrer Bouncer Plugin for WordPress 1.5 is of the class of upload-activate-and-forget Plugins (like WordPress 1.5 Plugin to disable nofollow from comments), Plugins that simply work.
Note: If you find this plugin useful, please consider contributing to ensure development of more such plugins and maintenance.