Australian Govt to Provide 100 mbps Broadband to Every Citizen! Wow!

By Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On what is to be called an aggressive technical decision, The Australian Govt. has announced that they don’t want to completely redesign the internet service of the whole country. Magnanimous may it sound and it is, $ 43 Billion AU or US $ 30 Billion will be invested to build up this infra structure that may help Australia stand apart from the rest of the world in the area of telecom and internet service. As latimes quotes Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, it would deliver broadband speeds of 100 megabits per second to 90 percent of Australian homes, schools and businesses within eight years through fiber-optic cables direct to buildings. The other 10 percent of people would get a wireless upgrade. That means it will just be 100 times more than the one that exists.

South Korea, Japan, Germany and some other handful of countries will be able to match the speed that Australian govt. is to bring in for all the countrymen.

This new super fast national broadband network … is the most ambitious, far-reaching and long-term nation-building infrastructure project ever undertaken by an Australian government.

Rudd told a news conference the national capital, Canberra.

Telstra, the largest telecom service provider in Australia, will surely feel disastrous after this has been announced. But Telstra Chairman Donald McGuachie said the company welcomed the new plan and looked forward to “constructive discussions” with the government soon. Anyway, its a complete surprise esp in this economic downturn. But if it happens with cautious steps and precision (which is often lacking in any govt. jobs anywhere around the world), this is gonna change the way the world looks at internet at this moment.

will not be displayed