As Americans scrutinize every purchase, merchants are making sure to stock up on holiday gifts that are either practical or offer an affordable way to splurge.
NEW YORK - The Christmas shopping season doesn't kick off for another six weeks, but retailers already are signaling they're prepared to discount aggressively to entice shoppers still skittish about spending.
SAN FRANCISCO - Just because Yahoo Inc.'s U.S.
PORTLAND, Ore. - In a holiday hurry, Jeramie Griffin piled his family into the car and asked his new GPS for the quickest way from his home in the Willamette Valley across the Cascade Range.
SAN FRANCISCO - EBay shoppers used cell phones to make more purchases this holiday season than in past years.
- EBay: holiday cell phone shopping up fourfold
- Been away from the airport? A lot has changed
- Holiday Shopping Notebook: At the VERY last minute
- Obama reads to kids, gets foosball challenge
- Christmas Web sales spike after snowstorm
- Astronauts set for Christmas space mission
- Holiday Shopping Notebook: Snuggie heats up
- White House Christmases: mistletoe and chain saws
- Gift Guide: High-tech happiness for $100 or less
- Gift Guide: Touch and Windows 7 in fresh PC lineup
- Holiday Web shopping looks brighter than last year
- Relax without getting the ax; Fewer turkey naps
- Retailers use social media to advertise deals
- $25 or under gifts that say 'I thought about you'
- TechBits package
- Tokyo Game Show kicks off with turnaround hopes
- Business Highlights
- Microsoft: Windows 7 on track for holiday sales