How IT Sector Can Leverage Technology to Come Out of RecessionBy Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
As per George Colony, chief executive of consultancy firm Forrester Research, firms are using new technological innovation to come out of economic recession. In the IT business whenever someone asks for a new system or programme, it means new invention.
“When we come out the other side of this crisis, companies will look quite different – and technology will have been a catalyst in those changes,” said Colony.
During recession, some of the companies not only survive, but, they also posted growth through continuous innovation. The emerging technologies are :
I am going to outline a few technologies that that can be considered for further growth of your company.
- Network and collaboration: Intelligent secure and automated networks supporting multi-media and collaboration tools helps business analyst and system integrator work more efficiently.
- Digital Technologies: Digital storage and transmission of audio and visual material retains the same quality with this technology. Digital comes with a portability. There is a niche in the market for this technology. You can grab it to leverage your business.
- Content Management: Any enterprise considers the information as an asset. The only real method of storing and managing a solution is through Content Management Systems. Most of the CMS do not require any additional software on the client side, or any knowledge about website design, databases, HTML, or programming language.
- Social Networking: This is very beneficial for your business. The most popular ones are Facebook, mySpace, Linkedin and micro blogging site Twitter. Once you know the right social networking tool, you can start promoting your business. You can use the tool for 1> to establish your presence 2> to use it as a marketing tool 3> to collaborate knowledge through discussion. 4> to do research for potential customers etc.
- Enterprise Portals: It combines information, applications and services from disparate systems to promote collaboration, decision making and appropriate feedback for critical business events. The portal provides information and functionality and improves business process management.
- Service oriented Architecture(SOA): Service-oriented architecture (SOA) provides the framework for IT infrastructure, speeds up the project delivery and reuse the services. It can adapt quickly with the business need. SOA also delivers IT projects at low service cost and reduce IT administrative and infrastructure expenditures.
- Cloud Computing: Cloud Computing is a platform in which information is permanently stored in servers on the internet and cached on clients that include desktops, entertainment centers, table computers, notebooks, wall computers, hand-helds device. One of the major selling points of cloud computing is lower costs. In this type of model, customers do not own the infrastructure they are using, they basically rent it, or pay as they use it. Companies will have lower technology-based expenditures, which should enable companies to focus their money on core business area.
- Risk Management: The purpose of risk management is that the damaging thing will not happen or less likely to happen during the execution of project lifecycle. It’s an area that requires both technology and processes to improve from security standpoint.
- Virtualization: The business benefit of Virtualization technology is that you can deploy multiple operating system technologies on a single hardware platform. The number of servers can be lowered with this technology and you can also save lot of spaces by consolidating the servers.
- Wireless Technology: While the initial investment required for wireless LAN hardware is higher than the cost of wired LAN, overall lifecycle costs are significantly lower. Users can access to their organization from any place and from anywhere by using wireless LAN. This mobility supports productivity and service opportunities that is not possible with wired LAN.
Tags: cloud computing, CMS Software, collaboration, Risk Management, SOA, Social Networking, Virtualization, Wireless LAN