10 Best Practices Tips for Companies How to Deal With the Changing Mobile Environment: ForresterBy Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Google rolled out its latest version of the Android mobile operating system, Froyo in the last weekend. Apple’s latest version of its OS - iPhonOS4, is expected to hit stores next week and it will be the next-generation version of the iPhone. Things are moving fast in the area of Mobile computing. There is a strong race among IT department employees to bring the latest device in the office. The continuous flow of these latest devices raises the question how the IT department should handle all of it. This is the major talking point at Forrester IT forum this week.
Analyst Benjamin Gray strongly suggested that companies should outsource mobile management to a third-party vendor because they have the resources to handle things like software updates, security issues, data protection and remote wipe security features. It may be difficult for the IT staff to deal with different platforms and devices for a range of employees. Gray also emphasized that a company should have formal mobile policy where the company can monitor things like support, service billing, password locks and data protection.
He, additionally, offered 10 best tips about how a company can cope with the changing mobile environment.
- Segment the workforce: Some employees may need mobile support while others may not need it. You have to determine roles and needs and divide those employees into groups.
- Use a single Web-based console for all management and security apps.
- Plan to support personal devices.
- Avoid putting a company logo on the device.
- You need to strictly enforce a password policy.
- You have to automate locking the remote device after 10 unsuccessful authentication attempts
- Remotely lock or wipe lost or stolen devices
- Encrypt the data
- You have to outline appropriate use
- Invest in a mobile device management or managed services offering
Tags: Apple, Forrester, iPhone, Mobile Computing, Mobile Management