How To Connect To OpenFire XMPP Server From Gaim / PidginBy Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Friday, August 17, 2007
I faced quite some problems, to say the least, in configuring Pidgin / Gaim to connect to OpenFire XMPP Server on Fedora Core 6. Here are the detailed steps for a no-brainer configuration of Gaim for OpenFire:
1. Click on Account->Add/Edit menu
2. Click on Add button in the Accounts screen
3. Select XMPP / Jabber as your protocol
4. Type your desired screen name
5. Type Domain as the hostname of the OpenFire server. For example I use jaguar.taragana.com where the server is currently located
6. Ignore Resource
7. Type in your Password and check Remember password
8. Click on Advanced tab
9. Check Force old(port 5223) SSL
10. Check Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams (may not be required)
11. Change Connect port to 5223
12. Type the host name of your OpenFire server in Connect server field. I used jaguar.taragana.com
13. Click Save and you are done.
Note: Use the Gaim from Fedora extras. Do not install pidgin directly from other repositories.
Note: The Spark IM client from the same company works like a charm. However it is an one-connection wonder. I use Gaim because I can use it to connect to my internal OpenFire server as well as my external MSN IM, Yahoo IM, ICQ and AIM accounts simultaneously.