Cloud Computing: Top 10 Benefits of Private Cloud Over Public CloudBy Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Private cloud (also called internal cloud or corporate cloud) is computing architecture that provides hosted services to a specific group of people behind a firewall. A private cloud has leverages in terms of virtualization, automation, and distributed computing to provide on-demand computing capacity to internal users.The following list shows top ten benefits of using private cloud over public one.
- Security Consideration: If your organization has applications that requires direct control and custody of data, private cloud is the better choice. There are some places where security considerations are the main reasons that disallows public cloud computing. For example, many government organizations have applications that deal with classified or secret data and those organizations don’t want to put it at risk under any circumstances. There are other applications in other industries where regulatory requirements are the main barriers to implement public cloud.
- Resource Availability: Private cloud can be considered for the applications that require certainly more than defined resources which can not be guaranteed by shared resource environment. Say, for example, in 2009, Amazon told its users that it could not guarantee the availability of 500 XL instances (where XL instance are high-compute resources with 8 CPU virtuals) at any given time from a specific availability zone. If there are cases in which resources in excess of 1000 XL instances were required, Amazon requested that they should be given a week’s notice to improve the chances of the available resources.
- Service Disruption: When there is technology change, public cloud operator will pick time that is the most convenient and least costly to them. As a result of this, it can create serious problems if the upgrade goes badly or it is initiated during a time when you need to use their service heavily for the business demand. You don’t have to worry about this sort of problem if your application uses private cloud.
- Better Choice: I think people will have greater choice of how they can run their applications and what they can apply from a service-level agreement standpoint to those applications. It is also reduction of operational cost.
- Virtualization: A core private cloud service for SMBs is virtualization software for high availability and fast provisioning, desktop image management, single-click deployments for new users, onboard data backup and recovery, hardware redundancy for processing and storage devices, easily upgradable components to handle scalability, and system monitoring and management. It should connect to existing desktops, or use low-cost thin or ‘smart’ clients. This solution could be deployed on-premise.
- Resource Consumption: As because infrastructure clouds keep track the use of resources and allow users to add and destroy resources as needed, companies are using private clouds to keep an account for resource consumption at a project or department level, simplify chargeback, and use the resources back that are no longer in use.
- Data Longevity: How long you plan on keeping data in the cloud can greatly influence your selection between public and private cloud. As data ages within the public cloud, the cost continues to increase . Private clouds are licensed like enterprise. Longevity of data does not increase the cost of the solution, which can be stored for archive or content repository applications.
- Performance: Public clouds are accessed over the Internet and it has the limitation of provider’s bandwidth. Private clouds are deployed inside the firewall and accessed over the Ethernet LAN at wire speed. It can read access in the 100 MB/s range per node. Adding nodes provides additional performance to the cloud. Files also can be replicated to many nodes.
- Data Amount: Private clouds can start in the few TB range and you can add more capacity by adding additional nodes or disks. Public clouds start even smaller. If you lease more capacity, cost scales linearly.
- Confidentiality: With private clouds you have better control and have knowledge of legal activities. When it comes time to destroy or delete the data, it is in your decision and can be confirmed by your own team.
Tags: cloud computing, Private Cloud, Resource, Security, Virtualization