How to: 2 Ways to Prevent Spam Mails from OrkutBy Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
I am sure that you usually get at least one spam mail a day from Orkut. Even GMail which perhaps has the best filtering capability of spam mails, stands helplessly in front of such backdoor attacks. People target your friends and friends’ friends through orkut message box automatically to send spam mails which are redirected to your (usually Gmail id) mail inbox. That surely doubles your annoyance. How do we prevent spam mails? Here is a simple solution.
1. Changing Primary Email
- Go To Edit Profle Page of your profile,
- then click on Contact tab and change your Primary Email address to some other id, which you don’t use much.
- Your login id will remain same but your friends will see your other email id and mails will be sent there.
2. Using Fake EMail id
It is the most effective way of hiding email id, but it requires a new account, If you have some larger communities and want safety, then follow this method:
- Create a new Orkut account, On the Sign Up page enter any id which does not exist like firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com etc.
- Then after entering other details, you will be redirected to your home and with a message Verify Your Email, Just igonore it and do as stated below
- Now Go to google.com, you will see your fake id on the top-right corner firstname.lastname@example.org, You can see My Account Option there.
- Go To My Account Page and create a gmail id from there. (You can see it under Try Some More)
- Done! You have your new login id but your friends will still see your fake id.
So enjoy a clean and spam free orkut account. tell us if it worked for you and if you have any other suggestion.
Tags: Friends, Orkut, orkut spam mails, prevent spam mails from orkut