Massive Mobile Boom in India, Over 10 Million New Customers in September AloneBy Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
TRAI* (Telecom regulatory body) report on growth of telecom in India for September reveals some startling facts about Mobile growth and penetration in India. Highlights are
- Second time India added 1 Cr mobile consumers in September. Last time India added 1 Cr consumers in March 2008.
- Teledensity exceeds 30%
- AirTel added 27 lakh wireless and wireline customers.
- Government companies could add 3.9 lakh consumers (4%)
- Vodafone is growing faster than Reliance within wireless service.
- Tata Teleservices and Idea are comparable in size and growth.
* The mission of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) is to ensure that the interests of consumers are protected and at the same time to nurture conditions for growth of telecommunications, broadcasting and cable services in a manner and at a pace which will enable India to play a leading role in the emerging global information society.
India is a booming mobile market like no other. With over 1.2 billion people, India offers the single biggest market for mobile phone operators and service providers. See our coverage of mobile gaming in gadgetiphilia.