8 Nice Utilities in Windows 7By Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Windows 7 received much admiration from the press. But, most of the attention are confined in Interface and File Management features. There is not much focus about new tools that are included in Windows 7. Here, I am going to discuss about 8 very useful tools which are integrated with Windows 7.
- Action Center: This is the place where you can find system maintenance information, security information and also troubleshoot if there is any problem. The Action Center notifies users when there are important messages so that users can take proper action. Microsoft has modified Vista Security center to Windows 7 Action Center.
- Problem Steps Recorder: Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) in Windows 7 is a cute tool to record the steps that you need to reproduce a problem in the computer. It records all actions like keystroke, mouse etc and the captured data is saved in a MHTML document which is enclosed in a zip file. You can send the zip file to someone else who can look into the problem.
- ISO Burner: Sometimes users need to burn ISO image to physical CD, DVD etc. to test and install the software. Now, the ability to burn ISO images directly is supported by Windows 7 without any requirement of third party tool. In order to burn ISO image in Windows 7, you need to simply right-click on an ISO image and choose “Burn disc image”.
- Biometric Device Management: The device offers an unique way to log into computers. You can use fingerprint readers to authenticate and log users into the machines. The Windows Biometric Framework (WBF) in Windows 7 allows users and administrators to log on to computers, grant privileges through User Account Control (UAC) and manage the fingerprint hardware. Many laptops come with fingerprint readers and Windows 7 add the software to use those readers.
- Presentation Setting with Windows Mobility Center: There are number of changes you need to make in your laptop before you go for presentation. That includes changing the desktop wallpaper, disabling your power setting, screen saver and pop-ups etc. Windows 7 makes configuration presentation setting easier.
Type Mobility from start menu to launch Mobility Center. Once you set up your display device, select ‘Turn On’ under the ‘Presentation Settings’ section so that Windows automatically change some of those important options discussed above.
- System Repair Disk: In Recovery Disc, Windows contains system recovery options, that include different tools that can help you recover from a serious error of Windows. You can use a system repair disc to access system recovery options if you don’t have a Windows installation disc. The features include a list of system Recovery options like Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostics, Command Prompt etc.
- Power Shell: Windows Power Shell consists of Command Line Shell and Scripting Language. This is built on .NET framework and creates an environment in which administrators perform administrative tasks on both local and remote Windows systems. You manage the computers in your enterprise from the command line using shell command CMDLETS. Additionally, you can access data stores, such as the registry and the certificate store, and access the file system.
- Better Back Up Utility: Previous versions of Windows also include Back Up utilities. But, the back up utility of Windows 7 provides better control. You can use the utility from the Control panel. You can back up your files in a local Hard disk, Removable disk or on another computer in the Network. You can also select to back up individual Folders and Libraries.
Tags: Back up and Restore Utility, Biometric Device, Microsoft, Power Shell, System Repair, Windows 7, Windows Mobility center