Would You Welcome Google’s Entry into TV Business?By Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Thursday, March 18, 2010
As per media reports, Google is working with Sony and Intel to develop Android based set top box to telecast Web content onto your television. Yahoo already has similar platform called “Yahoo TV Widget” which was launched last year. The media highlights the following points about the new venture of Google which is still in the early stage.
- Google ventured out to develop a platform called Google TV in collaboration with Sony and Intel.
- The platform is based on Google’s Android based operating system.
- Users will be able to do web search and watch a web video from a site like youTube.
- Google wants that the software companies write apps for Google TV in a similar way that they have written apps for Android phone.
- Logitech is expected to provide remote and small keyboard.
- Google is supposed to build a set top box, but, the software may be installed directly on TV.
- The TV will use Google’s Chrome browser.
- Google TV will integrate applications like Twitter and the Picasa photo site onto TV screens.
- The company is supposed to put an ad on the Google TV.
- Google and Intel want to get into the TV business where they have no presence so far.
- The company is currently hiring for Android based jobs.
Tags: Android, Chrome, Google tv, Intel, Sony, Web Content, Youtube