How to Improve Google WaveBy Dipankar Das, Gaea News Network
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Google Wave is a personal communication and collaboration tool which was announced at Google Conference on May 27, 2009. It is a web based platform to combine email, instant message and social networking. Currently, there was a preview release of the application to the developers. After going through different blogs and views about the preview release, I jotted down some ideas about how to improve the Google Wave further. I would like to share the following ideas with you.
- It will be nice if Google docs, News Reader and Gmail can be integrated. That way I can do all in one place like reading news by newsreader, email my friends, and wave with those that have it too
- The Remove Wave feature should be incorporated if the Wave creator makes a mistake and wants to go back to square one.
- If I would like to have a chat with someone through private waves, the application should ensure that no one can be added during the chatting session unless I , as a creator, decide to add somebody.
- It is good to have an option so that the wave can be imported to .PDF file. Also, drag and drop images to the Wave is going to enhance its cool feature.
- There has to be some kind of ability to lock a comment or message so that it can not be edited later on.
- The ability to integrate calendar event in the wave is very cool. This way you can “invite” users to events by adding them to a wave.
- Make it possible to merge multiple Waves into 1 wave, so the Waves stay organized. For example, friends are starting each wave about the discussion of any topic for common interest. This could be merged into 1 wave where you share pictures and stories.
- There has to be option to empty the Trash folder.
- The feature may be enhanced by adding voice/video chat conferencing.
- There has to be status message for on line contacts like whether they are busy, offline or online.
- Integration of Google Wave with all Google applications (gmail, calendar, voice, chat, video, reader etc.) is another enhancement of functionality.
- Approval system for when someone else adds a new user to a wave that you are in. You should be able to decide whether that person can see your past waves, just your new ones, or none of them at all.
- The wave creator should be the wave admin by default. That should enable them to remove people from the wave, but they should also have the ability to make another person an admin of the wave.
- It will be nice in having a graphics option so that the user can draw in the Wave with some tools and take a note.
- Another good idea is to implement a group. If you invite a group on a wave, then everybody is able to see it.
- There has to be an option to import all our e-mails from gmail, as well as all google docs and put them on the Wave interface.
- It is good to have the ability to paste an url of an image inside the Wave and make it embed in the stream.
- Another good functionality is the ability to close a wave. If the wave is being used for a project it could be closed when the project is done. The creator should be able to close it.
- Access Control: It should have ability to control if a wave is hidden/read-only/read-write for specific people and groups. A default setting should be allowed.
Tags: collaboration, Communication, Email, Google wave, Newsreader, Social Networking