WordPress Dashboard Blank Page Display Solution

By Angsuman Chakraborty, Gaea News Network
Monday, July 10, 2006

After moving over my test blog to the new server, I noticed that the Admin Dashboard (with tons of unnecessary feeds) wasn’t displaying. It shows just a blank page.

Apache error log had a very interesting message:
Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 0 bytes)

The solution is simple.
1. Increase memory_limit in php.ini to a higher value. I have set it to 64MB:
memory_limit = 64M

2. Restart the Apache HTTP Server. On linux that would be:
service httpd restart

Note: The same technique can be used to increase maximum allocated memory for any php scripts.

An even better solution is to replace it with WordPress Dashboard hack.

May 17, 2010: 1:37 am

It is well known that cash can make us free. But what to do if someone doesn’t have cash? The one way is to get the loans or college loan.

December 8, 2009: 2:17 am

Thanks so much for this tip! You saved me a lot of time and a big headache… one quick edit of the PHP file and my problem was solved.

July 18, 2009: 5:04 pm

Apart from problem with comments, people can also get a blank page on commenting because some of their comments are marked as spam by blog owners. Akismet sends a 403 error along with blank page in this case. You might want to check that out.

April 4, 2008: 10:21 am

Thank you for your tips. it’s work for me. And I put your article in my blog too. I you have an objection just email me. Thanks

September 19, 2006: 12:55 am

[...] Je fais un recherche du message d’erreur sur Google et je trouve rapidement que le problème vient de la quantité de mémoire que mon hébergeur alloue à PHP4 : 8M au lieu de 64M conseillés par l’article trouvé sur le net. [...]

July 17, 2006: 11:42 pm

[...] Because I’m always late, I just updated to Wordpress from Movable Type on the advice of a good friend, who is probably used to me taking advice several months after the fact by now.  Wow, this thing is pretty nice.  Apart from a stupid problem which I solved by finding the right link, the installation and import went pretty smoothly.  The broken dashboard was a php problem, thank god for blogging gentoo hackers. Anyone who doesn’t understand how apache and mysql work together might stay away from this, though following the docs will probably get you pretty far.  I ended up having to install libxml2 and the php xml foo, but that’s about it. [...]

will not be displayed